How to Overcome Insomnia While Pregnant – Apart from the condition of an enlarged stomach, during pregnancy there are many other changes that pregnant women experience. In addition, several complaints are often experienced by pregnant women, one of which is difficulty sleeping. Many pregnant women complain of insomnia at the beginning of their pregnancy. Though sufficient sleep time is needed by pregnant women.
When pregnant, a woman’s body will experience changes in the hormone progesterone which increase in early pregnancy. In addition, several other causes include habit insomnia moments before pregnancy, nausea, night hunger, anxiety, body discomfort, depression and so on.
Also read: How to Overcome Back Pain During Pregnancy
How to Overcome Insomnia When Pregnant Young
So, to help overcome sleeplessness during the early trimester of pregnancy, you can try some of the methods below.
Adopting Good Sleep Habits
The first way to overcome insomnia is that you can adopt good sleep habits. You can do the same set of habits before you sleep at night. By doing this habit or routine will help the body become more relaxed, calm and relaxed, so you will fall asleep easily.
- You can start by going to bed and waking up at the same time every day.
- We recommend that you do not use gadgets at least 1 hour before you sleep, and keep your eyes away from blue light.
- In addition, you can also take a shower using warm water before you sleep. Make sure you do these habits regularly every night before you sleep.
Creating a Comfortable Sleep Atmosphere
After you do a good habit before going to bed, then you have to make the sleeping environment a comfortable atmosphere. You can do whatever things can make your sleep more comfortable. Suppose you can do the following:
- While sleeping you can tuck a pillow between your knees, put a pillow under your stomach to make it more comfortable, or sleep using a pillow that is a little low or high according to your comfort.
- In addition, if possible, you can dim the bedroom lights, and cool the room. Minimal lighting conditions and cool air conditions will help you create a good and comfortable sleeping atmosphere so you can sleep soundly.
Adopting a Good Diet
Implementing a good diet is very important to do. Some foods and drinks can cause pregnant women to experience insomnia during early pregnancy. Therefore, you must manage your diet properly, such as:
- It is advisable to eat dinner early, then chew food slowly, and eat light and healthy snacks a few hours before bedtime.
- To help you get sleepy quickly, drinking warm milk at night can be a solution.
- It’s best to avoid or limit caffeinated drinks, and also avoid drinking too much fluids before you sleep.
- In addition, on the other hand, you can keep your body active in the morning, afternoon or evening. You can do light exercise which is recommended for pregnant women to help you sleep soundly at night. You can consult a doctor to find out what sports pregnant women can do.
Meditation in early pregnancy can help manage insomnia, the statement said, according to research published in the journal Obstetric Medicine.
To help overcome sleeplessness with relaxation, the method is regular relaxation exercises, and meditation. This activity will help calm thoughts of stress, anxiety or depression during the first trimester of pregnancy. Because this activity will relax your body’s muscles.