Home remedies as a way to treat hyperemesis gravidarum – Hyperemesis gravidarum is a complication condition that occurs during the first trimester of pregnancy which will cause pregnant women to experience severe nausea and vomiting compared to usual morning sickness. The nausea experienced will occur more frequently so that it makes the mother lose appetite, the volume of vomiting is very large with frequent vomiting that makes the mother weak.
This hyperemesis gravidarum condition will cause pregnant women to experience dehydration, drastic weight loss, malnutrition, metabolic disorders and electrolyte imbalances. Pregnant women with this condition should be hospitalized.
Symptoms of hyperemesis gravidarum include severe nausea, less urination, weight loss, headache, fainting, confusion, jaundice. In addition, other signs are an increased pulse rate and low blood pressure.
Also read: How to increase fetal weight in the womb
Home remedies as a way to treat hyperemesis gravidarum
As a way to manage nausea and vomiting caused by hyperemesis gravidarum, some home remedies can be done as follows.
Don’t Leave Your Stomach Empty
To help deal with the severe nausea and vomiting that you are experiencing, you can try some of these treatments.
- Instead of having 3 big meals every day, you can eat small meals every 2 hours.
- Before bedtime at night you can have a small snack.
- Try to chew, and swallow your food slowly.
- Between meals you can drink water. You must meet the needs of fluids, namely 8 glasses per day.
- To help prevent nausea experienced by pregnant women, fruit juices such as pure orange and lemon can help.
- If you snack every 2 hours, it can help prevent nausea because you won’t feel hungry.
Pay attention to the food consumed
You should pay attention to food consumption to prevent nausea and vomiting. It is known that there are several foods that should be avoided when nausea and vomiting, such as the following:
- Cream cheese
- Foods that are processed by frying
- Margarine and butter
- Corn chips and potato chips
- Sausage or processed meat
- Ice cream
- Chocolate milk
- These foods can cause nausea and vomiting. Therefore, you should not eat these foods.
Eating Foods High in Carbohydrates
Pregnant women who experience hyperemesis gravidarum should eat foods high in carbohydrates and protein when compared to foods that contain fats or fatty acids. As for some foods that are high in carbohydrates that can be selected, including:
- You can eat small portions but more often, for example 1 or 2 hours once.
Meet the Needs of Vitamin B6
In addition, to help deal with the severe nausea you experience while pregnant, you can overcome it by meeting the needs of vitamin B6. When digested, this vitamin B6 will be converted into energy, carry oxygen to all parts of the body, and can form hemoglobin. You can meet your vitamin B6 needs by eating foods such as:
- Brown rice
- Green vegetable
- Duck or chicken
Other articles: Easy Tips to Improve Sleep Quality While Pregnant
Those are some home remedies that can help relieve hyperemesis gravidarum. Always consult with your doctor about the health condition of your pregnancy.