Migraine during pregnancy is one of the complaints that can be experienced by pregnant women. Migraines during pregnancy are not only caused by hormonal changes, but can also be caused by an unhealthy lifestyle. So, to help deal with migraines during pregnancy, you can try the following methods.
How to Deal with Migraines While Pregnant Safely
You can treat migraines by avoiding the causes. Here are some ways to deal with migraines during pregnancy.
Avoid Foods That Can Trigger Migraines
Migraines will certainly make pregnant women uncomfortable. Well, one of the causes of migraines during pregnancy is the consumption of certain foods.
- If you feel that the migraine you are experiencing appears after eating certain foods, then the way to overcome it is to avoid these foods. So that the risk of migraines during pregnancy can be reduced.
- You should avoid certain foods or drinks such as cheese, chocolate, sweet foods, foods with MSG content and caffeinated drinks. Because these foods are known to trigger migraines during pregnancy.
- To make it easier for you to find out what foods trigger migraines, pregnant women are advised to make food notes.
Drink a lot
Drinking lots of water is recommended because it has great benefits for health. With lots of drinking, the body’s need for fluids will be fulfilled and help prevent dehydration problems.
As a way to relieve migraines during pregnancy, drink lots of water. Every mother has different fluid needs, because the conditions of pregnancy for each mother are also not the same. However, many experts recommend that pregnant women drink 8 to 10 glasses per day. You can adjust it as needed. In addition, you can also consult a doctor or midwife to find out what water intake is according to your needs.
Manage Stress Well
The stress experienced during pregnancy can cause migraines. In fact, if stress is not managed properly during pregnancy it can have a negative impact on the development of the little one in the womb. If your migraine is caused due to stress, you can handle stress well in various ways as follows.
- Focus on the positive and don’t think too much
- Tells complaints to your spouse or family
- Doing hobbies or fun activities
One of the causes of migraines is lack of rest. Pregnant women who suffer from sleep disorders such as insomnia will be prone to experiencing migraines. Lack of sleep can lead to migraines during pregnancy.
- If you feel that your migraine is due to lack of rest, then the way to deal with it is to get enough sleep.
- If you have trouble sleeping, you have to find out what causes it.
- In addition, you can create a comfortable sleeping atmosphere by turning off or dimming the lights while going to sleep.
Compress the Head
To help diffuse migraine, you can also try to compress the head or back of the neck using a warm or cold compress. This method is known to be effective in dealing with migraine complaints. The method is as follows.
- Please prepare a cloth and warm or cold water.
- Then soak the cloth in water.
- After that, please attach it to your head or neck.
Other articles: How to Overcome Insomnia When Pregnant Young
If your migraine doesn’t get better, you should consult your doctor so that you get the right treatment.