Prevent Low Birth Weight Babies – Newborns are said to be LBW if they weigh less than 2500 grams. Meanwhile, the weight of a normal newborn is 2500 to 3500 grams. The cause of babies born with low birth weight is birth premature. In addition, the existence of obstacles to fetal growth can also cause low birth weight babies.
Health risks can be experienced by babies born with low birth weight. Therefore, it is very important to know tips to prevent low birth weight babies.
Tips to Prevent Low Birth Weight Babies (LBW)
Well, here are some tips to prevent low birth weight babies (LBW) that you can see.
Planning for Pregnancy Carefully
Every woman would want a healthy pregnancy and the fetus to develop properly in the womb. A healthy pregnancy itself begins before conception.
- You have to plan your pregnancy well. Apart from making you physically ready, you are also mentally prepared for pregnancy.
- Physical preparation that you can do is by doing a health check before becoming pregnant. Prospective mothers should conduct an examination about their health conditions, including about the risks of pregnancy that might occur. Then the mother will also receive health education about pregnancy, including regarding low birth weight babies.
- Not only that, the family also supports this. The support of those closest to you, especially your husband, is needed. Pregnancy planning is not only about physical support, but also mental support.
Meet the nutritional needs of pregnant women
Pregnant women need more nutritional intake. In addition, paying attention to food intake is very important.
- During the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, you must increase your food intake to 300 calories.
- In addition to fulfilling macronutrients such as fat, carbohydrates and protein, you also have to ensure that you have sufficient micronutrients, such as a source of vitamins and minerals. To meet these needs, you can eat fruits and various types of vegetables.
- If the nutritional needs are met, the risk of low birth weight babies will be reduced.
Avoid Excessive Stress
Calm emotional and psychological conditions will support your pregnancy. The excessive stress you experience will trigger stress hormones which will affect both the mother and the fetus. If the emotional condition of pregnant women is stable, not stressed and calm, then the mother will be able to think rationally to make ends meet during pregnancy.
Therefore, as a way to prevent low birth weight babies, you must avoid stress, anxiety and always think positive. In addition, you must be able to manage stress well.
Avoid Bad Habits Like Alcohol and Cigarettes
As we know, smoking and alcohol consumption have a bad impact on health. It is very important to avoid this habit, especially when you are pregnant.
As a way to prevent low birth weight babies, you must avoid smoking and consuming alcohol. Because it will inhibit the growth of the fetus in the womb.
Pregnancy checks must be done regularly. So that when a health problem is found for the mother or the fetus in the womb, it can be treated immediately. In addition, by carrying out routine examinations, it will be possible to determine whether the weight of the mother and fetus is as expected or not.
Therefore, you should regularly check your pregnancy health at your doctor. Visit the doctor according to the schedule.
These are some tips to prevent low birth weight babies. You can also consult a doctor to find out the right steps. Hope it is useful.