Co-sleeping or sleeping with babies has many benefits, including being able to provide assistance to your baby who suddenly wakes up in the middle of the night. The advantages that you get when you sleep in one bed with the baby include making quality sleep for you and the baby, not often worrying about your baby in the room, besides that you are easier to provide breastfeeding, help your baby to develop and help psychologically by fostering the development of trust. between parents and babies.
A horrendous study occurred in 1999, which linked the sudden death in infants and toddlers when sleeping in one bed with their parents, even more than 3/4 of the cases that occurred in infants under 3 months of age. Research conducted by CSPC (US Consumer Product Safety Commission) invites controversy, one of which is from the API (Attachment Parenting International) which states that sleeping with a baby will have better physical and mental benefits in the development of your baby so it is something you should do. to do is choose to sleep together with the baby that is safe.
Here are tips for safe sleeping with your baby:
- Try your baby to sleep on his back. With this position it will be easier for the baby to breathe while your baby is sleeping.
- It is better if the baby is kept next to one of the parents, for example beside the mother, not between the mother and father so that it allows control of the mother during sleep.
- Also make sure if your baby is not sleeping in a dangerous place, avoid beds that have space on the right and left side so that it increases the risk of the baby falling
- Check the mattress you are using, avoid using a mattress of a different size and position the baby in the middle because it is feared that it will increase the baby’s pinch
- You can ensure that the sheets do not come off easily and interfere with your baby’s breathing
- Keep your bedroom clean, keep it away from cigarette smoke, dust and pets that will cause allergies
- The last thing is to keep controlling your baby from time to time even though you share the same bed, especially if your baby is 0-6 months old. This is to ensure that the baby is not distracted throughout the night
Apart from the seven tips you should pay attention to is the awareness of you and your husband when maintaining the safety of sleeping in one bed with the baby, try not to make your husband smoke, not be drunk and also snore which will disturb your baby while sleeping.