In addition to withholding food according to the set time, fasting when pregnant women mean maintaining nutritional intake during sahur and breaking the fast. Before you decide to fast, you should consult your obstetrician so that he can provide advice according to the health of the fetus, if the fetus’s health is declared to support fasting then you can fast and not interfere with fetal development. Doctors usually give an assessment through body weight, if your weight during early pregnancy does not reach 3.5 – 4 kg or at the end of the pregnancy period the increase is still below 12.5-14 kg then it is advisable not to fast because it is feared it will interfere with fetal development. As an active pregnant woman, it is important to maintain her fitness in order to carry out her daily activities so you can avoid excessive fatigue. In doing fasting during pregnancy you definitely have to provide extra energy to have enough enthusiasm.
Here are tips for you as a pregnant woman in maintaining fitness during fasting:
1. Choose the sahur menu that has adequate nutrition for the fetus and maintains your health during fasting. The recommended composition is complex carbohydrates, protein, both vegetable and animal, and fat. Do not abandon the consumption of vegetables and fruit so that your digestion remains smooth and can avoid hemorrhoids in pregnant women.
2. Eat small portions and often. Not only pregnant women, people who fast usually experience decreased appetite, so that eating a little is easily full. Remember that there is fetal health that must be maintained so that you can manage it in small portions and often according to the nutrition needed.
3. Drink lots of water. Lack of drinking throughout the day will make you dehydrated, you can divide your intake of drinking water while breaking the fast and dawn. The need for drinking 8 glasses of water every day, 4 glasses at dawn and 4 glasses after breaking the fast. You don’t need 4 glasses at once, you can share them in several occasions.
4. Get enough rest. Regulating the rest time is very important for the health of the fetus and you during fasting, anticipate it by making suhoor food which is nutrient dense and easy to do, does not require time and has high nutrition.
5. Take vitamins if needed. Not just any vitamin can be consumed for pregnant women, in addition to the ingredients contained, it must be consulted with a doctor, the need for a portion of these vitamins must receive a doctor’s instructions so that the vitamin needs can be of maximum benefit to the health of you and the fetus.
6. Drink special milk for pregnant women, if you usually drink milk in the morning and at night, now you change it at dawn and break the fast. Special milk for pregnant women is very good in helping the development of your fetus.
7. You can do yoga before breaking the fast with an intensity that is reduced from usual.