Some women are more comfortable wearing contact lenses than wearing glasses. This is because it feels confident to use contact lenses. However, you must recognize the impact of using contact lenses with pregnant women. Some people think it will interfere with pregnancy and some still use contact lenses.
To help you answer the question whether contact lenses are safe for pregnant women, we present it through the article “Can pregnant women use contact lenses?”. In this article we will help you provide information about the negative effects of wearing contact lenses during pregnancy and how to reduce the risk of adverse effects from wearing contact lenses during pregnancy.
A lens that is generally attached to the cornea of the eye to replace conventional glasses even though it is invisible so it will not affect your appearance. Besides that, the color of the contact lenses will help your eyes look more beautiful. Now contact lenses can not only be used for individuals with problems with eye health but in normal people (the eyes are not minus).
The use of contact lenses must be very careful. First, when touching contact lenses, try to wash your hands with soap so that your eyes don’t irritate. Then the use of contact lenses is not like wearing glasses. Contact lenses cannot be worn for a long time. Using it for too long and wearing it while sleeping will cause injury to the cornea.
Contact lenses will be safe to use if you pay attention to eye health. Avoid eyes that are too dry to make the eyes worse. Also pay attention to the cleaning fluid when using contact lenses. Each product has a preservative so that when it expires it will irritate the eyes.
If for women who dress up using mascara, eyeshadow and eyeliner after using contact lenses and irritate the eyes it will be dangerous for health. So it is important to pay attention to eye health before and after using contact lenses.
Side Effects of Using Contact Lenses
The use of contact lenses is increasingly making contact lenses a lifestyle for women. Many use contact lenses and do not use them wisely, causing side effects for health.
The use of contact lenses will make the eyes lack oxygen in the cornea, causing corneal swelling, increased risk of infection, corneal epithelial clouding and also irritation and trauma. If contact lens users do not pay attention to their use, it will cause harm to the eye or cornea.
Even the use of expired contact lenses will make it uncomfortable and cause health problems. This condition is characterized by symptoms of redness, discomfort, pain, dryness or even pain in the eye. This is due to the tendency to use contact lenses beyond the time limit they should use. Even the use of contact lenses is less friendly when used in air-conditioned rooms and activities with high concentrations so that the eyes have difficulty blinking.
Contact Lenses for Pregnant Women
In pregnant women, changes in body shape as well as in the eye organs can occur in changes to the cornea and eye size. This is what causes pregnant women to feel uncomfortable when using contact lenses. However, the eye size will return to its original shape when the mother has labor.
Complaints that are often experienced by pregnant women are changes in vision and dry eyes, so the use of contact lenses is less appropriate than wearing glasses. Even so, it does not mean that pregnant women are prohibited, but they must be vigilant in using them.
Hormonal changes that occur when pregnant women will cause contact lenses to experience interference when used. You need to know that during pregnancy you will experience hormonal changes and fluctuations in blood pressure in the eye organs. The following are changes that occur in the eye:
- Swelling of the cornea resulting in a thick and curved shape. So that when using the eyepiece it becomes uncomfortable and easy to shift.
- Eyes easily irritated, this is what causes a more sensitive infection in pregnant women who decline. In fact, this is what causes pregnant women to get treatment too late and experience irritation and infection.
- Dry eyes so that if there is a disturbance that will produce the lining-producing glands of the tears. This is what causes the eyes to yawn and feel sore eyes.
- Experiencing blurred vision and even experiencing swelling of the cornea which changes the eye’s refraction condition to be more minus than before pregnancy.
Convenient Ways To Use Contact Lenses For Pregnant Women
Pregnant women may use contact lenses as long as they have the restrictions that should be used and are advised to consult beforehand to reduce health risks to the mother. Given the different conditions of pregnant women, it must be checked before using lenses when pregnant. As for things that must be considered to be comfortable using contact lenses during pregnancy:
- Pay attention to the use of contact lenses in pregnant women. Try when the hormone conditions return to normal.
- If you are using it for the first time, choose the one who uses it daily or weekly so it is easy to adapt to the eye.
- You can consult an ophthalmologist when using contact lenses.
- You can use cleaning fluids by paying attention to their expiration.
- Use contact lenses before you use make-up.
- When touching contact lenses, keep your hands clean
- Also pay attention to cleanliness when using contact lenses
- Avoid rubbing your eyes, especially when exposed to dust
- You can use eye drops if your eyes feel dry
- You should also use it as directed by an eye care professional for optimal care.
Thus, if you are going to use contact lenses or soft lenses when pregnant, you should pay close attention to comfort. This is because the condition of the mother during pregnancy undergoes physical changes. One of them is swelling of the body. During pregnancy, the mother will experience an increasing volume of blood and body fluids. This is what causes swelling of the eye. Even so, the swelling of the eyes will be different from the swelling of the legs and face, it only looks small in the eyes and tends not to be felt.
Even so, the size of the cornea will change and experience discomfort so that the ill-fitting contact lens will stick to the eyeball. The easiest thing that can be done for pregnant women is to wear glasses during pregnancy. The use of lenses will be better if used after childbirth and blood volume has returned to normal. So that it is back to normal and comfortable using contact lenses.