Here’s how to distinguish real contractions from fake or Braxton Hicks contractions:
1. You can distinguish the feeling from the false contractions that are heartburn but without pain that start from the top of your uterus to the bottom while the original contractions start with heartburn and pain in the waist down to the lower abdomen.
2. In general, braxton hiks often occurs at 20 weeks or so second trimester. Even at the gestational age much earlier than the age of 20 weeks and occurs until labor takes place. Meanwhile, the actual contractions will be felt at the age of pregnancy which is quite months, namely 27 to 40 weeks of age.
3. In the duration of the false contraction, it will last for more than 20 seconds, even up to 2 minutes or more, whereas for the original contraction it is 30-60 seconds and in the longest labor phase it will only occur 75 seconds.
4. Another characteristic that you can distinguish when the original contraction is that the longer the contraction occurs, the stronger the pain will be and your feminine area feels like it is releasing something while the false contraction will disappear by itself. If you experience false contractions they will disappear when you change your sitting or lying position.
The steps you can take to reduce the discomfort of false contractions are as follows:
- Change your activity or position. Sometimes walking can help you get comfortable.
- You can take a shower using warm water to help your body relax.
- Try drinking a few glasses of water, as these contractions can sometimes be caused by dehydration.
- Try your relaxation breathing exercises. This will not stop Braxton Hicks contractions, but it can help you deal with the discomfort.
Questions arise from you whether false contractions require professional medical attention, contact your doctor or midwife immediately if you have not reached 37 weeks and the contractions are more frequent, rhythmic, or painful, or if you have any of these. signs the possibility of premature labor such as abdominal pain or cramps such as you are menstruating or also more than four contractions in an hour, the occurrence of bleeding and also increased vaginal discharge and the type is bleeding or watering more. If you are past 37 weeks pregnant, there is no need to call your doctor or midwife just for the contractions until they last for about 60 seconds every five minutes and are apart and continue like this for an hour unless your medical professional has advised you beforehand.