How to Prevent Urinary Tract Infections While Pregnant – UTI or urinary tract infection namely an infection caused by bacteria in the urinary tract. This condition is prone to be experienced by pregnant women and needs to be watched out for. If this condition is left untreated and untreated, the infection can cause complications. Complications that may occur are low birth weight, preterm labor or even cause sepsis. It is very important for pregnant women to know how to prevent urinary tract infections during pregnancy in order to avoid this one health problem.
How to Effectively Prevent Urinary Tract Infections While Pregnant
There are several ways you can do to prevent urinary tract infections in pregnant women. Well, here’s how to prevent urinary tract infections that can be done.
Keeping the Urinary Tract Clean
Make sure your urethra is always clean, especially after you urinate. This is done to prevent bacteria from spreading and getting into the urethra. To keep your urethra clean, the following things can be done:
- After urinating, you should immediately rinse and wash around the genitals and anus thoroughly and carefully.
- To rinse you can use warm water.
- After rinsing you can dry it by wiping it from the front to the back.
- Do not use antiseptic soap, as this can cause irritation.
- Avoid soaking for too long or more than 30 minutes in the bath, and don’t do it more than 2 times a day to prevent possible bacteria from entering.
- You must be diligent in changing your underwear.
- Use comfortable pants with cotton material.
- Do not wear tight pants or underwear.
Don’t Hold Back Urination
Holding back urination is certainly a bad habit. There will be side effects if you hold back urination. Therefore, avoid this habit, including by pregnant women. Because this will cause infection.
- As a way to prevent urinary tract infections, when you want to urinate, you should immediately go to the toilet or at least urinate every 2 to 3 hours.
- In addition, make sure there is no remaining urine after you urinate. To make sure there is no remaining urine, you can wait for a few minutes.
- After sexual intercourse, you have to urinate. This is done to prevent bacteria from spreading to the urethra.
Increase the consumption of water
Water has great benefits for health. So it is advisable to always meet the needs of water. To prevent urinary tract infections, you need to make sure your body is always hydrated.
The way to keep the body hydrated is to meet the needs of drinking. At least you drink as much as 8 glasses of water every day.
Maintain Food Intake
It is very important for pregnant women to meet their nutritional needs. You do this by eating healthy foods when pregnant, avoiding caffeine, sugar, alcohol and processed foods. In addition, you can also take vitamin C, zinc, beta carotene to help prevent infection.
Those are some ways to prevent urinary tract infections during pregnancy. In addition, you can also consult with your doctor to find out how to prevent urinary tract infections in the right way. Hope it is useful.