Nipple confusion, also known as nipple confusion, is a condition where the baby is more fussy and also refuses to breastfeed directly from the mother, so it requires assistive devices. This article will help you find out more about nipple confusion. Causes of nipple confusion and how to overcome them so that you can give breast milk directly to your baby.
Exclusive breastfeeding is required until the age of 6 months, even though mothers are busy with routines outside the home but exclusive breastfeeding can still be given using expressed breast milk.
Dairy milk is intended to meet the needs of breast milk when the mother is not close to the baby. Giving using a pacifier or pacifier. This is what makes the baby confused the nipple when breastfeeding directly with the mother.
Nipple confusion is a condition in which the baby does not easily adapt to breastfeeding right away. In general, when the baby is attached to the breast, the baby’s lips will open and stick out the tongue until the nipple enters the baby’s mouth, then continued with rhythmic movements.
The rhythmic movement of the baby, which moves the tongue over the hard palate, makes the areola and nipple form a teat. This is what causes the cheeks to fill the mouth with baby’s suction and generate pressure.
The baby’s tongue which moves in waves and also expresses the milk towards the nipple causes the milk to flow out of the nipple and is swallowed by the baby. In contrast to babies who experience nipple confusion. The baby feels very foreign and is unfamiliar with the mechanism of breastfeeding.
Causes of Nipple Confusion
Nipple confusion is experienced by babies who find it difficult to adapt to breastfeeding directly from the mother. It is even experienced by some newborns up to 5 months of age. Even so, the confused condition of the nipples that is left unresolved will result in the baby not being able to suckle at all to the mother.
The condition of babies who cannot breastfeed directly from the mother will cause the milk to be reduced because it is rarely inhaled by the baby. Even though the baby’s suction stimulation will help increase milk production.
The following are some of the reasons that babies experience nipple confusion:
1. Introducing Bottled Milk Too Early
Nipple confusion can occur when a baby is introduced to the bottle too early, so it is more adaptable to the texture of the bottle than the nipple when feeding. This condition can be caused when a newborn who has been given breast milk in a bottle. Babies are more comfortable with a bottle and do not want to suck on the nipple to get breast milk directly.
2. Babies Are More Comfortable With Milk Bottles
When the baby is given a bottle early, the baby will be confused to adapt when breastfeeding directly to the mother. Even though the correct breastfeeding is directly from the mother because by placing the tongue under the breast and also forming a vacuum cavity that can pump and swallow breast milk. When the baby is breastfed directly so that the ability to suck and pump will help produce milk. This is why when the milk production is lacking, the mother still gives the baby the opportunity to suck in order to stimulate milk production.
3. Baby’s ability to suck milk bottles and suckle directly
When the baby is breastfed directly, the baby puts as much of the nipple and areola as possible into the mouth and then pumps. Meanwhile, when using a baby pacifier using the lips to hold the tip of the pacifier only. This ability makes it difficult for babies to recognize the nipple structure rather than the pacifier.
Not to mention, when breastfeeding, the baby can put the tongue under the nipple and form a vacuum cavity. Meanwhile, when the baby sucks the bottle, the baby’s milk will put the tongue in front of the teat and stop the flow of milk when the baby swallows it. This is what causes the difference in babies, resulting in a direct strike from a baby who has been given a pacifier at an early age, causing nipple confusion.
How to Get Rid of Nipple Confusion
When a baby experiences nipple confusion, what must be done to overcome it is to find the cause first. The possibility that can be overcome is the discomfort when getting breast milk immediately.
Here are some ways you can treat nipple confusion:
- Try not to introduce pacifiers at an early age. Nipple confusion can be caused because at an early age the baby is more comfortable with the texture of the teat, so to anticipate this you can breastfeed as long as you are close to the baby. If you need to give milk, give it in a condition where you and the baby are really far apart.
- Make the baby comfortable while breastfeeding. An improper position will make breast milk ineffective and also make nipples experience pain. You can find a comfortable position while feeding to make the baby reduce nipple confusion.
- You can continue to offer direct breastfeeding to the baby. Never give up even though the baby may refuse for a few times but the ability to suckle and adaptation will return to accept direct breastfeeding from the mother.
- Giving breast milk to a baby who has nipple confusion can use a spoon. Start by giving breast milk using a spoon or cup feeder even though it is not easy, you have to be patient and also painstakingly but divert to reintroduce the putting texture. So that it can get used to breastfeeding the baby again.
- Finally, you can use a way to consult a lactation specialist about babies who experience nipple confusion. Thus the lactation specialist will help in providing a good way of breastfeeding and making the baby calm to get breast milk immediately. Even though the baby will refuse several times, this is one way that is done to help in the production of breast milk until the maximum age of breastfeeding.
Thus, for your baby who experiences nipple confusion, which is marked by refusing and fussiness of the baby when getting breast milk directly, you can find out more about the cause. The reason can be due to the feeding of a pacifier that is too early so that the baby is more comfortable getting breast milk than breastfeeding directly. Besides that, the discomfort of giving breast milk can make the baby feel uncomfortable.
The way to overcome this is to continue to provide breast milk directly even though the baby refuses, this is done so that the baby returns to being used to the structure of the mother’s milk. If this nipple confusion is left unchecked, it will have an impact on decreasing milk production so that the mother cannot maximally provide breast milk according to the baby’s needs.