Constipation is a common digestive problem. Constipation itself occurs when the bowel movements are slow, which makes the stool stuck in the large intestine and will become harder and harder to pass. This digestive problem is generally caused by insufficient fiber intake, lack of drinking, laziness to move and the habit of holding back bowel movements.
Generally constipation can be easily treated with home remedies. However, for pregnant women, how to deal with constipation should not be arbitrary, especially when choosing drugs for pregnant women who experience constipation.
Also read: Swollen Fingers During Pregnancy
Well, here’s how to deal with constipation in pregnant women easily and comfortably.
How to Overcome Constipation in Pregnant Women Easily and Comfortably
Apart from lifestyle, constipation in pregnant women is also caused by physical changes and hormones that make pregnant women prone to experiencing digestive problems. Here’s how to deal with constipation that is safe and comfortable without using drugs.
Implementing a Healthy and Appropriate Diet
The first way you can do to deal with constipation during pregnancy is by adopting a healthy and proper diet. Diet is closely related to constipation digestive problems. Improving your diet can be a natural way to deal with constipation during pregnancy. Here are a few things to note.
- First of all, increase the intake of fibrous foods in your diet. The fiber will help the stool soften so it will pass smoothly through the intestines and reach the anus. Fiber will draw a lot of water into the intestines, so that the hard stool will become soft.
- To increase fiber intake, you can increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables such as pears, apples, wheat or peas. This food can be used for breakfast, lunch or you can make it as a healthy snack.
- Before consuming it, make sure you wash, process and serve food properly. You can consume fruits directly, while vegetables should be processed first by boiling, steaming or sautéing according to taste.
- In addition, pay attention to the portions of food you consume. You should avoid eating large portions because it can make constipation symptoms worse. Therefore, you better eat small portions but often.
Drink Lots of Water
Increasing fluid intake you should do to help overcome constipation in pregnant women. The fiber you consume will work together with water so that the stool becomes soft. If you don’t drink a lot, your constipation will get worse.
- You must stay hydrated by drinking lots of water at least 8 glasses a day.
- Not only drinking water, you can get fluids by consuming fruits that contain lots of water or soup.
- When doing this you will urinate more frequently. You do not hold back the urge to urinate or defecate. If you hold on to these two things, the effect of constipation will be more difficult to cure.
Staying active can help relieve constipation that you experience. Exercise can make bowel movements smoother so that it can be used as a way to deal with constipation during pregnancy. This activity will be able to stimulate bowel movements, so that it will push the stool into the intestines more smoothly.
However, you certainly have to be careful when you want to do this method. Choosing sports that are not right for pregnant women will actually be dangerous for the health of both the mother and the fetus in the womb. Pay attention to some of these things before you do this method of dealing with constipation.
- Choose sports that are safe for pregnant women. Some sports that are safe for pregnant women include walking, yoga, swimming and so on.
- In addition, to ensure the right way of exercise and the type of exercise that is safe for pregnant women, you can consult with your doctor first.
This natural method can generally help overcome constipation during pregnancy. However, if the constipation is more severe, you may need constipation medication. You can consult with your doctor to find out what constipation drugs are suitable for pregnant women.