Breastfeeding mothers who have to return to their work routine can provide exclusive breastfeeding by expressing breast milk. You can store expressed breast milk properly so that the benefits do not diminish, expressed breast milk (ASIP) is milk that is expressed and then stored to be given to the baby. This is an effective method for breastfeeding mothers who have a hobby outside the home.
Often mothers are anxious when storing expressed breast milk, fearing that it will change the nutritional content of stored breast milk. In addition, it is feared that storage of breast milk for too long will disturb the health of your baby. So, how to store milk that is good and correct must be known by mothers who are busy outside the home. In this article, our article discusses how to store expressed breast milk, hopefully it can help with giving exclusive breastfeeding although mom has to work.
Definition of expressed breast milk
Exclusive breastfeeding can be done directly from the breast of the mother to the child, in addition there are certain circumstances that are difficult to provide exclusive breastfeeding so that it is given the form of milking. Dairy breast milk is breast milk that has been expressed and stored and given according to the baby’s needs.
Dairy breastfeeding can be given to babies born prematurely so that it helps to suckle that is not optimal. It can even be given expressed breast milk because the mother needs to be cared for so that it is not possible to breastfeed her baby. Likewise with mothers who are busy with routines which make direct breastfeeding difficult.
The benefits of expressing breast milk are the same as direct breastfeeding, providing benefits for babies. The composition contained in expressed breast milk is the same as when the mother is breastfeeding, it contains natural antibodies that the baby needs to avoid this type of infection, helps maintain the baby’s health, reduces the risk of obesity and reduces allergies or intolerance to formula milk.
Exclusive breastfeeding can be assisted by using expressed breast milk. Exclusive breastfeeding given until the age of 6 months will help the baby reduce the risk of several diseases as an adult. Even exclusive breastfeeding is very helpful in maintaining health, especially digestive disorders in babies. So there is no reason for mothers not to give exclusive breastfeeding because they are busy outside the home, you can do this by using expressed breast milk.
Preparation before Expressing Breast Milk
Expressing good and correct breast milk will make it easier to make the quality and quantity of milk milk. Before you express breastmilk, you can prepare steps that can support expressing breastmilk.
First of all make sure you are clean. Digestion of babies is still not perfect as well as their immunity. Your baby’s health starts from a clean environment, as well as when breastfeeding. Make sure mothers wash their hands with soap to prevent bacteria from getting into the breast milk.
Provide a clean storage container such as a glass bottle or plastic container that has a tight lid. You can even choose safe plastic materials that are bisphenol A (BPA) free. Pay attention to how to wash when it is used to store expressed breast milk, wash it with hot water and soap then dry it.
You can prepare a label with the date the milk was expressed. So that it can help you when storing breast milk according to your baby’s needs. The next thing to pay attention to is not to mix freshly frozen breast milk in a stored container. Then also pay attention when giving expressed breast milk, do not shake it because it will damage the composition in the milk milk.
Expressing Manual Breastmilk and Pumping
Expressing breast milk can be done by hand or by using tools such as a breast pump. You can even use both hands and squeeze tools. Expressing breastmilk by hand is often chosen for reasons such as expressing using a pump is considered unsafe for some discomfort and ineffective when expressing breastmilk.
Even the stimulation of the skin to the skin will have an impact on the effect and also reflexes when expressing breast milk is better than using a means of expressing breast milk. So that with hands it will be more practical and you don’t have to bother carrying a pump, it can be done anytime and anywhere as long as the mother feels comfortable.
Expressing breastmilk can also use a pumping milk, although some mothers experience discomfort when using the pump. A good and correct way to express breastmilk is very necessary in order to produce the expected quality and quantity of breast milk. You can express by hand or a breast pump that makes you comfortable.
How to Store Expressed Breast Milk
Expressing and storing breast milk is the best solution for working mothers. The following are the steps that can be taken:
- First of all, you prepare a container to hold breast milk that is easy to sterilize, usually a tightly closed bottle with a heat-resistant glass.
- You can choose a container that has a volume according to the needs of the baby once to drink, for example, 125 ml.
- Milk milk that will be given less than 6 hours does not need to be stored in the refrigerator. Meanwhile, breast milk stored at room temperature is not recommended for more than 3-4 hours.
- Meanwhile, if breast milk for 24 hours or more should be stored in the refrigerator at a temperature of 4 degrees Celsius but not frozen. This can maintain the nutritional content in breast milk that is beneficial for babies.
- Unlike expressed milk which will be used within 1 week, breast milk must be refrigerated for 30 minutes then frozen at -18 degrees Celsius or lower. The condition of breast milk that is frozen can last up to 3-6 months.
- If possible, when breast milk is stored in the refrigerator in the middle or in the freezer because it is cooler and has a constant temperature.
- Do not store breastmilk on a shelf attached to the refrigerator because it has variable temperatures.
- In addition, to make it easier for you, you should use the date label to express the milk. Also, pay attention when you are storing breast milk, don’t fill it completely, but try to make it a quarter empty.
- It should be noted that if breast milk is stored for more than 6 months, it will lose compounds that will function against harmful organisms. This is what causes breast milk to endanger the health of the baby if stored for more than 6 months.