It is recommended that breastfeeding mothers who are actively working should learn to express breastmilk before returning to work after giving birth. By learning to express breastmilk as early as possible, more stock of milk milk can be stored to meet your baby’s needs. Storage of expressed breast milk should be in a suitable place, for example by storing it in the refrigerator. Storage of breast milk does not always have to be in the freezer, but you can store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-8 days. Storage time is adjusted according to the right conditions and methods.
The calculation of storing milk in the refrigerator can be exemplified as follows, namely milk is stored in the refrigerator at your workplace for 9 hours then you bring it home and then store it in the freezer, so you can use it in the next 3 days so that it is still suitable for consumption by babies you. Here are some ways you can store and prepare breastmilk that has been stored in the refrigerator properly and correctly.
Storing expressed breast milk in the refrigerator
1. Prepare a container for breast milk so that the container can hold the sterile milk and the container can be closed tightly. Also pay attention to the volume of the container you use so that it can be adjusted according to the baby’s needs.
2. Make sure that the expressed breast milk is for immediate consumption or will be stored for a longer time. If the milk is given for less than six hours then you don’t have to store it in the refrigerator, whereas for those of you who will use it for 24 hours, you can store it in the refrigerator at a temperature of 4 degrees Celsius. Whereas if the expressed breast milk will be used for more than one week then you should immediately chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes then freeze at a temperature of -18 degrees Celsius or even lower can even be stored within 3-6 months.
3. If possible you can store breast milk in the refrigerator in the middle or even you store it in the freezer. Avoid storing it on the shelf attached to the refrigerator cabinet door with a temperature that changes when it is opened or closed.
4. In the container that is stored in the refrigerator, you can provide a label and description. Give information about the time to express the milk. Also leave less than 1/4 of the empty space in the storage container.
In the presentation of expressed breast milk, you should pay attention to the following tips:
1. You can combine the breast milk that you have expressed as long as it is in a maximum of 24 hours, chill in the refrigerator before you combine the two.
2. In serving you it is not recommended to combine warm breast milk with fresh or cold and frozen breast milk.
Thus for those of you who will express breastmilk, store and serve it properly for your baby so as not to interfere with your baby’s health. Also pay attention to the prolonged freezing of the chemical composition contained in breast milk, this is to avoid chemical breakdown that can fight harmful orgamisms. If you are at home it is better if you breastfeed the baby directly.