What are hordeolum or stye?
Hordeolum or stye is a small pimple-like bump that appears near the lashes. The hordeolum or stye will usually form on one outside the eyelid, or on the inside of the eyelid. In some cases, the stye can contain pus. The public knows this situation as a balance.
In general, the hordeolum is not a very serious condition. The lump will disappear on its own, within a few days. However, even though they are not dangerous, the stye can interfere with the sufferer’s activity. Even pain will be felt and can damage the appearance of the sufferer.
How common is this hordeolum condition?
Hordeolum (stye) is a disease that can affect anyone and any age. You can prevent stye by reducing the factors, which are at risk of developing this disease.
Types of hordeolum (stye)
This disease can occur on the outside or on the inside of the eyelids. Here are the types.
External or external hordeolum
This type is much more common when compared to the internal hordeolum. This condition mostly appears in the eyelash follicles. Sometimes, these conditions will begin to appear in the oil glands. This type is located on the outer edge of the eyelid.
Internal or deep hordeolum
In most of these types begin to appear in the oil glands in the eyelid tissue. When this type of hordeolum grows, the eye will feel more painful than the external hordeolum.
Signs and symptoms of the hordeolum
The symptoms that arise due to this situation will vary from person to person. However, the most common symptoms include:
- Small bumps appear on the eyelids, both the upper and lower eyelids
- Pain in the lump, reddish color, and feels warm to the touch by the hand
- The eyes will be watery and very sensitive to light
- Annoying itching sensation on the part that has the hordeolum
Although hordeolum is a harmless disease. This condition can cause widespread infection of the eyelids. If you don’t get the right treatment, it will happen periorbital cellulitis. Some people, there will be several characteristics and symptoms that are not mentioned above. If the complaints you feel are the same, immediately consult a doctor.
Causes of the hordeolum
In general, the cause of a hordeolum or stye is the accumulation of dirt and oil. This causes the hole where the eyelash roots grow clogged, and can cause a hordeolum. After the hole is closed, bacteria will grow inside and cause an infection. Staphylococus aureus is the type of bacteria that most often causes heordeolum to occur.
Risk factors for hordeolum
Several factors can increase the risk of getting this disease. Including the following.
- Touching eyes with dirty hands
- Wearing contact lenses without completely cleaning them from the presence of bacteria, with dirty hands.
- Make up is not cleaned overnight even more
- Using outdated types of makeup
- Have a history of rosacea and blepharitis
Infections that occur in the eye, in general, are often caused by improper care and wearing of contact lenses. Behaviors that can increase the risk of infection, related to wearing contact lenses are:
- Unclean contact lenses
- Touch contact lenses with unwashed and dirty hands
- Wear contact lenses while sleeping
- Wearing contact lenses frequently and repeatedly
- Wearing old and expired contact lenses
The risk of developing this condition will increase, if previously not experiencing a similar condition. After healed, the stye eye also did not rule out the possibility of attacking again. The absence of risk does not mean free from the possibility of developing this disease. The features and symptoms described above are for reference only.
You can do several ways to treat hordeolum at home. One of them is by changing the lifestyle and a healthy lifestyle. What medications can be done at home? Let’s look at the following explanation.
- Hands must be in clean condition if they touch the face, scalp, eyebrows and eyes.
- Use eye makeup lightly, then wash it off until it is completely clean.
- Don’t try to punch the scales
- Don’t wear contact lenses while your pills haven’t healed
- Keep contact lenses clean and free from infection
- Wash hands before touching contact lenses to be worn
- Wash your hands with warm water and soap if necessary, using a sanitizer that contains alcohol.
This condition will not be contagious. However, bacterial bacteria can move through objects that have been infected, including makeup. Instead, change the use of makeup according to the following rules:
- Use of mascara everyday, preferably every three months
- Use of mascara at a certain time, preferably every six months
- Liquid eye liner every three months
- The eye liner is penciled every three months
When to see a doctor?
Mostly, in the case of stye, it is not dangerous for the sufferer. This state will not affect the ability to see normally. However, you must be vigilant and contact your doctor if you have other symptoms. What symptoms to look out for? Here’s the explanation.
- Vision problems
- Conditions did not improve for more than two weeks
- Redness and swelling spreads beyond the eyelids, even to the forehead area and other parts of the face.
- The build-up appears to discharge in the form of blood. The lump changes in size to become bigger and is excruciatingly painful. The lids became more and more blistered, even the entire eyelids turned red.
What are the drug options for treating a stye in the eye? There are several simple ways, of course you can do it at home. Here’s how.
Place the compress using warm water on the eye area. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. This compress aims to prevent the closure of the holes in the lashes. As well as reducing the buildup of dirt and oil.
If your condition worsens, you should immediately consult a doctor. Doctors will usually prescribe antibiotics. The antibiotics given are in the form of eye ointments and eye drops. In some cases, if there is pus the doctor will drain the pus.
Another natural remedy for treating hordeolum
When you are exposed to this condition, as a result, you lose confidence when interacting with other people directly. Therefore, you must overcome hordeolum as quickly as possible, of course, with natural ingredients like the following.
The content of minerals, enzymes, vitamins contained in aloe vera is useful as a pain reliever or analgesic, antiviral, and antibacterial. Aloe vera is an effective solution for removing stye. You can just take the gel with cotton buds, then you can apply it directly to the stain.
Coriander leaves have anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Of course, these leaves can overcome stye eyes. You can boil the cilantro, then drain it. Once cool, rub the cilantro on the affected eye area.
Compress using a tea bag
Compress using green tea is proven to be the best for treating hordeolum disease. Green tea contains the same content as aloe vera and coriander leaves. You can boil a teabag in hot water for three minutes. Remove and drain, if the temperature is warm, compress on the eye area for about 15 minutes.
Also Read: 20 Benefits of Used Tea Bags for Body Health
Hope it is useful.