Is it true that you have avoided consuming alcohol while pregnant? Try to double check your favorite foods, some of them may contain alcohol content that you may not realize is harmful to health. You must find out what foods contain alcohol, thereby reducing health problems in the fetus. (Read: List of nutritious foods that women should eat during pregnancy)
Alcohol In Food
When you eat food outside the home, without realizing it, there are certain types of spices that you accidentally consume and contain alcohol. Even though now the MUI (Indonesian Ulama Council) has helped you by providing halal labels so that it is easy to recognize foods that contain alcohol.
Research carried out on foods containing alcohol has so far been inconclusive. Even so, some say to give taboo in pregnant women in consuming alcohol, even if a drop. Does that apply to alcoholic foods? For those of you who are wise, you should avoid it especially when you are pregnant.
The following are some foods that often contain alcohol:
- Alcohol which is used as a food flavoring. Generally used in western food, chinese food, or some other foreign food menu. A food flavoring that contains alcohol is Ang Chiu. Used in meat, seafood, flavoring sauces or stir fry.
- Some cakes that use rum balls or butter rhum cakes generally have an alcohol content of 30%. You can confirm by asking the outlet of the cake whether it contains rum or not. Now several outlets have labeled cakes containing rum.
- Avoid foods that contain red / mirin or white arak. Usually used to increase taste. Generally used in Japanese cuisine, the alcohol content of mirin is generally 14% and is used in sushi.
- Alcohol in certain drink mixes. You can ask the waiter directly about the drink you ordered so make sure you don’t use rhum or alcohol.
- Alcohol in traditional foods. The alcohol content of traditional food menus will increase with fermentation time. So that the alcohol content will be more dangerous the longer it is fermented. Some traditional foods that contain alcohol are brem, cassava tape, sticky rice or fermented durian.
- Liquer content in candy or chocolate. You can read every pack of candy or chocolate you choose. Make sure to avoid the liquer content.
By knowing some foods that contain alcohol, you are more alert and reduce the risks that can arise from alcohol consumption. Generally, the risks posed are born with a weight below normal, small head circumference, experiencing joint abnormalities, slow coordination ability, body length at birth is shorter than normal or experiencing short memory.