However, giving honey to babies under one year is still a matter of controversy. A world health organization based in America states that giving honey is not allowed to be given to children under one year of age, while some people think that honey is okay to be given to children under one year of age.
This natural sweetener obtained from bees is thought to contain Clostridium botulinum spores which are obtained when bees take food from the soil or plants. Clostridium botulinum spores found in honey will be able to survive hydp in the intestine and remove botulinum toxins.
Basically, botulinum compounds are not dangerous for adults. this is because the digestive system of adults has a high enough level of acidity to eliminate the toxic effects of botulinum compounds. It’s just another case that happens to babies less than one year old, the digestive organs of babies at this age are still immature, including the acid levels in the intestines which are still so weak that they are not strong enough to counteract the effects of the botulinum toxin in honey.
Honey is allowed if the baby is more than one year old, because at this age the baby’s digestive system will be mature enough to digest honey and ward off toxins from botulinum compounds in honey, so that these compounds will not survive and reproduce in the baby’s intestines. . (Other interesting articles: Baby girl name)
Heavy food poisoning as a result of botulinum carried by Clostidium botulinum spores is called botulism. The side effects of poisoning this compound can lead to death. Early symptoms that may be manifested by babies suffering from botulism include constipation, decreased infant consciousness, dizziness, difficulty swallowing and frequent crying. The effects will usually react 8 to 36 hours after the baby consumes honey.
So, for those of you mothers who have already given honey to babies aged less than one year, it is imperative for you parents to always supervise and pay attention to your children during that time span and to be safer, immediately bring the baby to health facilities such as clinics or doctors when the initial symptoms of poisoning appear so that the baby can immediately get more intense treatment.
Basically, not all honey contains botulinum toxicity. Many people and parents have been accustomed to giving honey from the age of their children as babies even when the child is less than one year old and there is no serious reaction or botulism poisoning. Poisoning itself is indeed a rare condition. However, do not rule out if this could happen to your baby. For this reason, it will be better and wiser if you can avoid the source of the disease before the disease threatens you and your family.