One of the habits that people often do unconsciously is by biting nails. The habit of people biting nails or in medical language is known as Onychophagia, usually a lot done when someone feels tense, panicked or even when the mood is not good, such as feeling bored and scared.
Interesting Facts About Nail Biting
1. Most people who have the habit of biting their fingernails are usually in the background because they are tense. However, it turns out that there is a fact that is quite interesting, namely that there are some people who do this habit to deal with anxiety or tension. Sounds quite strange, right?
2. This biting habit is one of the most common habits for children. According to a study, almost 60 percent of this habit is found in children, while in adolescents the percentage is only about 45 percent.
3. The habit of biting nails without generally starting to appear in childhood, which can continue into adulthood.
4. The habit of biting nails is unconsciously carried out while doing daily activities such as watching television, reading books or on the phone.
5. At the age of 10 years and over, it turns out that boys bite their nails more often than girls. Those are some interesting facts about nail biting habits. It is not only classified as a bad habit because it is difficult to remove. Medical experts also mention, if it is continuously practiced, this habit is also classified as obsessive-compulsive disorder or known as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
This is a disorder that can lead to high levels of anxiety and panic, resulting in repeated behaviors to reduce anxiety. So what are the causes of people often doing this habit.
Why Do People Often Bite Nails?
In general, the cause or trigger for someone biting their nails is because the person is feeling tense, stressed or bored. And for those who bite their nails a lot, this habit is seen as a great way to deal with anxiety, panic and tension that they are experiencing. While other causes could be because they feel lonely (feel alone), frustrated or maybe because of genetic factors passed on by their parents.
In addition, the worst condition of someone who has the habit of biting their fingernails is that they also have unusual habits such as washing their hands too often, even though their hands are not dirty and the habit of checking too often whether the door is locked or not. , where these things as part of a reaction to worry and anxiety that is too excessive in the person.
Not only that, but research has even shown that many of you who have the same habits also have behavioral and concentration disorders such as hyperactivity or ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), fear of separation and defiance.
What Are the Consequences of Frequent Nail Biting?
1. When someone bites their nails, they actually bite not only the nails, but also the cuticles and skin tissue in the nail area. Frequent nail biting can cause nerve damage to the nails and the skin in the nail area, which is considered a self-injurious habit.
2. Nail biting is also not good for teeth. Too often biting your nails makes your teeth fall out easily.
3. Apart from injuring yourself, the habit of biting your nails will cause your fingers to become red, bleeding and can even lead to infection. Viruses and bacteria that nest in the nails can also be transferred to the mouth and this is quite dangerous because of the risk of causing health problems for the person.
4. And the last impact of course is that it can damage the nails, reduce the beauty of the nails and interfere with their growth.
Some of the effects above seem a little serious and will hurt you. For that, start reducing these bad habits, so that your health is not threatened and the beauty of your nails can be maintained.
How to Get Rid of Nail Biting?
To stop this habit is a little difficult, especially if this habit has become a habit that you continue to do for a long time, but try to do the steps below, so you can reduce the habit of biting your nails to get rid of the habit.
1. Brush the nails with something bitter, but not dangerous, of course. This method is considered effective, especially if done on children to prevent the habit of biting their nails from continuing into adulthood.
2. For women who already have the habit of biting their nails, if they have sufficient funds, they should do nail care such as a manicure. If you see beautiful and well-groomed nails then you will feel sorry to damage them. Which slowly this will make you reduce the habit of biting your nails.
3. Try using plaster or bandages on the hands, especially the nails. Although this method may sound strange, most people who have the habit of biting their nails have practiced this method and think that this is a powerful enough way to reduce the habit of biting their nails on their fingers.
And there are some ways to overcome and stop the habit of biting your nails on your fingers. If you have practiced the above methods and the habit is still difficult to get rid of and even gets worse, and leads to serious psychological disorders, it is better to immediately get medical attention or experts to get more appropriate treatment immediately