Pregnant women will be monitored for their health through health checks during pregnancy. One of them is that pregnant women should experience an ideal weight gain from the first month to the last month of pregnancy.
By knowing the effect of weight gain in pregnant women on the fetus, you should observe your weight gain during pregnancy. Fetal health and growth are influenced by maternal weight gain, of course, pregnant women weight gain has a size adjusted for pregnancy. Pregnant women who are too overweight will interfere with health.
In this article, pregnant women will be invited to find out their balanced weight during pregnancy. In this article, we will also describe how the condition of pregnant women who cannot reach the ideal body weight according to gestational age and solutions that can help pregnant women achieve ideal weight gain during pregnancy.
Monitor Pregnant Weight Gain
The normal condition for pregnant women to gain weight is 12-16 kg during pregnancy. Meanwhile, pregnant women who start a pregnancy with excess body weight are trying to gain weight around 5-7 kg during pregnancy.
Pregnant women must be diligent in monitoring the development of body weight to support fetal growth and development. In a study conducted by the London school of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, pregnant women who experience less weight gain are at increased risk miscarriage in the first three months of pregnancy.
Pregnant women who do not meet their ideal body weight during pregnancy are worried that they will experience difficult and long labor. In addition to having labor that is earlier or premature. In fact, in some cases, pregnant women experienced bleeding after giving birth and the possibility of childbirth occurred after surgery.
In pregnant women who are not experiencing weight gain, it will cause disturbed health and fetal condition. Pregnant women who are underweight in the first trimester will result in premature birth and experience abnormalities in the fetal central nervous system. Meanwhile, the lack of weight in the second trimester will result in stunted fetal growth. Some of the conditions that are feared occur due to the fact that the pregnant woman’s weight is not ideal (underweight) when the baby dies shortly after birth, experiences congenital defects or the baby is born with low body weight.
Ideal Body Weight for Pregnant Women
In adult Asian women when they are pregnant, they are prone to Body Mass Index 19-23 if they are under or if they are too much, it can improve before pregnancy. Maternal weight that is thin or too fat will increase the risk of pregnancy. Consult with your doctor to get the ideal weight before pregnancy.
Before getting pregnant, your weight can be considered. The following are a few considerations:
- If pregnant women before pregnancy have a normal weight, then the weight gain should be 9-12 kg.
- Meanwhile, pregnant women who are overweight should gain 6-9 kg of weight.
- In mothers who are underweight, gain weight between 12-15 kg.
- In contrast to pregnant women with twins, weight gain should be considered according to the number of babies conceived.
During pregnancy, weight gain is not just a build-up of fat but is due to fetal growth and development, increase in uterine weight, blood volume, placenta, breast enlargement and also amniotic fluid.
It is difficult for pregnant women to gain weight
Checking body weight is very important to do to find out the ideal body weight during pregnancy. So why is it difficult for pregnant women to gain weight?
The following are the causes of pregnant women having difficulty gaining weight:
- Loss of appetite due to severe nausea and vomiting in early pregnancy. Generally experienced by pregnant women in the first 4 months of pregnancy
- The composition of the food is not nutritious, so that the mother is only full as long as she doesn’t care about the nutrition the fetus needs.
- The mother has indigestion so that even though it is of good quality, she is still thin. Mothers can experience damaged teeth so that food cannot be chewed properly so that food cannot be digested and absorbed completely by the body
- The mother has a medical history such as the lungs and heart, which interferes with blood circulation and causes nutrition and oxygen in the blood to be disturbed
- Mothers go on a strict diet to maintain a slim body even though it is very detrimental to fetal growth and development
So that pregnant women who have difficulty gaining weight are advised to consume foods high in fat such as carbohydrates and protein. Pregnant women are advised to consume lots of fish, meat, ice cream and cake. Meanwhile, pregnant women who often complain of nausea and vomiting should eat small portions.
The Importance of Weight Gain During Pregnancy
Weight gain during pregnancy is normal and should even be considered by means of health checks so that weight gain is in accordance with gestational age.
In the third trimester of pregnancy, pregnant women who only gain weight less than 10 kg must be vigilant. The reasons why weight gain during pregnancy is important are as follows:
- Pregnant women must store fat which will be food for the baby
- Pregnant women experience an enlarged uterus and preparation for breastfeeding so that pregnant women must gain weight
- Pregnant women will experience additional blood so that weight gain is adjusted according to gestational age
- Fetal growth is the main reason pregnant women gain weight
- There is placenta, other fluids and also amniotic fluid which causes weight gain in pregnant women
If pregnant women do not gain weight during pregnancy, it is associated with nutritional disturbances in the fetus so that it will inhibit fetal growth and development while in the womb. The risk of babies born with low birth weight in pregnant women who do not gain weight or gain weight that is less than ideal.
Thus you do not need to worry when experiencing weight gain during pregnancy. Monitor your weight gain during pregnancy with pregnancy test and always consult your doctor if you have a problem with difficulty experiencing putting on weight so that you get the best solution for your health and the fetus.