Explaining Corona Virus in Children – Corona virus or COVID-19 is a serious health problem and requires vigilance. Due to this virus outbreak, many activities must be postponed temporarily, be it school activities, lectures to offices.
In addition, there is a lot of news and information about the Corona virus on television, online media, print media, social media, and almost everyone is talking about the Corona virus. Of course, these things will be confusing for the child and make him anxious. So that children are not confused and panicked, then as a parent you must be able to explain the Corona virus precisely to your little one.
How to Explain Corona Virus in Children
Parents must provide or convey information to their children about the Corona virus correctly and can be understood by children based on their age. If not done correctly, an explanation of the Corona virus will actually make your little one sad, afraid and stressed. Well, here’s how to explain the Corona virus to children.
Equipping Yourself with Accurate Information
Before you explain the Corona virus to your baby, of course you have to know and understand first Corona virus. You have to make sure that the information you will provide to your little one is accurate. Therefore, it is very important to seek information from various reliable sources.
Finding Out What Children Know About the Corona Virus
You can start talking about the Corona virus with your child by asking what your little one already knows about this one virus. So that you will know how much the child’s understanding of this virus is, and you can find out whether the information they get is right or wrong.
If your little one is still a toddler, then you don’t need to explain this virus to your little one. You just need to remind your little one to always maintain cleanliness, not play outside the house and wash their hands frequently.
Explain in light language and easy for children to understand
So that children can understand what you explain about the Corona virus, you must explain it using simple sentences and words that your little one will easily understand according to their age. Don’t explain too complicated and detailed because your little one will probably not understand.
Children usually find it easier to understand and understand when explained with interesting pictures or stories. You can also invite your little one to watch a video that is specially made to explain about the Corona virus to children. But before that you have to make sure that the information contained in this video is accurate.
If then your little one asks about something you don’t know and understand, then it’s best not to answer your little one’s questions carelessly and guess. You can find out the right answer at a trusted source.
Calm the Child and Don’t Scare Him
Children generally focus on scary stories. You can explain to your little one calmly so that your little one doesn’t worry about this one virus. Instead of scaring children with the Corona virus, parents better entertain children. For example, when school is forced to close, you can explain to your little one that it is the school’s way of keeping everyone healthy.
Children will tend to imitate the attitude of their parents when responding to something. If you show a calm attitude when facing this virus outbreak, your little one will also be calmer.
When you provide information to your little one about the Corona virus, you must focus on the positive, and provide hope, for example, the COVID-19 disease can be prevented and cured. Avoid scaring children with information that will make your little one worry, for example, the number of fatalities due to the Corona virus.
Teach Children How to Properly Prevent Corona Virus
You can emphasize to your little one that the Corona virus can be prevented by adopting a healthy lifestyle. You can also teach children about Corona virus prevention such as the following.
- You can invite your little one to diligently wash their hands using soap and water. Show your little one how to wash their hands properly and correctly to prevent the Corona virus.
- Remind the child not to touch the face with dirty or unwashed hands.
- You can teach children the etiquette of coughing and sneezing, namely covering the mouth and nose using a tissue, forearms or folding the elbows when sneezing or coughing. Then immediately throw away the used tissue in the trash.
- Teach your little one to adopt a healthy lifestyle by eating nutritious food, getting adequate rest and doing regular exercise.
- Also remind children to stay at home and not to play outside during the Corona virus outbreak.
- You can also invite children to keep the house clean. You can involve your little one when cleaning the house.
- If you have to go outside the house, you can remind your little one to wear a mask, and keep a minimum distance from other people of 1 meter. Because the child may not know and understand, you can give an example of what distance 1 meter is.
- When the child feels unwell, has a sore throat, has a fever or has difficulty breathing, you can ask the child to tell you.
- You have to set the right example for the child so that your little one will follow it. In addition, you also have to convince children that by taking precautions like the one above, your little one can protect themselves and others from exposure to the Corona virus.
End the Conversation Appropriately
You must end the conversation with your little one appropriately. However, beforehand you have to pay attention to your little one’s response. If your little one looks scared and anxious, you can calm him down. Say words that make your little one calm. In addition, you can also embrace and hug your little one so that he feels calmer.
In addition, you can also encourage your little one. For example, by promising your little one to go on vacation after the Corona virus outbreak is over.
So that your little one doesn’t get bored at home for a long time, you can create a comfortable home atmosphere. You can also do fun activities with your little one such as watching television, drawing, playing music, singing, cooking with your little one, gardening, doing sports while sunbathing, watching your favorite movies, playing and so on. Doing fun activities will make your little one feel at home even for a long time.
It’s not easy to explain about the Corona virus to your little one. You have to explain it carefully and in an appropriate manner. You can try to apply the method above to explain about the Corona virus to your baby. Providing information in the right way will not scare him, your little one will understand.