One of the obligations of Muslims around the world which is carried out once a year is fasting. This worship is a compulsory worship that is recommended for those who are Muslim and are able to do it. Many opinions say that fasting will provide health benefits.
It’s just, for sufferers chronic disease like diabetes, carrying out this one worship without consulting the medical team can be a dangerous problem. This is because there can be side effects from diabetes or the drugs they are taking to relieve diabetes that they are experiencing.
Seeing conditions like this you may be confused about which choices you need to make. On the one hand, worship is mandatory, and on the one hand, your health is the main thing that needs to be considered. Well, for more details, let’s look at the discussion and explanation below.
Can Diabetes Patients Fast?
Before we discuss further the guidelines for fasting in diabetics, it will be even better if we explore how it affects diabetes for health and may those who suffer from diabetes continue fasting?
Based on the guidelines made by The Internatioan Islamic Fiqh Academy and The Islamic Organization for Medical Sciences, diabetics are divided into 4 categories based on whether or not they may fast. This guideline is expected to be a consideration for patients who still want to fast.
1. Patients with Low Risk of Diabetes may fast
- There are several characteristics for patients with diabetes complaints, one of which is:
- Healthy patients with diabetes who are well controlled by a diet of medications that are consumed
- Additionally, patients with this condition had HbA1C levels of less than 7 percent.
2. Patients with moderate risk can fast but with more attention
- Patients with this condition are characteristically healthy patients with diabetes that is well controlled by diet, drugs or even short acting from insulin use.
- Meanwhile, the HbA1C level is less than 8 percent.
3. Patients with high risk are allowed to refrain from fasting
- Patients with this condition are those whose fasting blood sugar levels or pre-fasting blood sugar values are at 150 to 300 mg / dl.
- Meanwhile, they also have microvascular complications, namely dangerous retinal, kidney or neurological disorders. Or also complications on macrovascular.
- The patient is older than 75 years
- Patients with decreased memory function, dementia or receiving medications that affect their memory abilities
- The patient lives alone or is receiving insulin or sulfonylurea therapy
- The presence of serious illnesses that accompany the patient’s diabetes, such as stroke, high blood pressure, cancer and other diseases that make the patient’s condition impossible to follow the fast.
4. Fasting is not recommended for patients at very high risk
- Patients with this condition have HbA1C levels greater than 10 percent
- Checking high blood sugar, with an average blood sugar value when the patient is fasting or checking blood sugar before fasting more than 300 mg / dl
- The patient has recurrent hypoglycemia or hypoglycemia of unknown cause
- Patients are great physical workers
- The patient is pregnant
- The patient has type 1 diabetes
- The presence of complications of diabetes ketoacidosis or hyperosmolar hyperglycemia experienced by the patient.
Things that diabetics need to pay attention to when fasting
There are several things that are important to always pay attention to by diabetics who are indeed capable of fasting. As we know, the risk of fasting in diabetics is that blood sugar may decrease due to the absence of food and drink intake for half a full day.
This condition should be a concern so that diabetics continue to carry out good regulations during fasting. This of course is done to avoid the bad possibility of unwanted things happening. Well, below are some things that need to be considered for diabetics who are fasting.
No Change in Diet
During fasting, it is very important for you to pay attention to the food intake you consume. This is because there is no change in the type or menu of food while you are fasting. Diabetics are encouraged to consume more types of foods that can produce energy slowly such as consumption of wheat, beans, brown rice, semolina and avoid foods with high saturated acid content.
For that, pay attention to your discipline again because we all know that food during the fasting month often serves luxurious food with ingredients that are not good for health. In addition, it is indeed difficult to resist the temptation to not eat these foods, especially after you have been hungry for so long. But for the sake of your health, you should pay attention again and stay on your safe path by consuming foods that are intended for diabetics.
Pay attention to the portion of food
Food portions are important things that need to be an important concern for diabetics. We understand that holding on to hunger after a long period of great temptation will certainly starve you and want to eat the food you have longed for.
It’s just that, remembering your health condition still needs to be the main thing. For that, keep your portion of food well. The portion of food when fasting needs to be adjusted, namely 50 percent at the time of eating sahur and 40 percent at breaking the fast. Meanwhile, 10 percent of you are left to eat food after tarawih prayer.
Food portions that are maintained properly will make the worship that you carry out can still be done well. Meanwhile, your health condition will be maintained without worrying that this worship will affect your health.
Keep Running Physical Activity
An empty stomach and not getting food or drink into the body can indeed make you feel weak and lethargic. This condition often makes you lazy to do many things, especially exercise. The thing you want to do most is lie down and sleep soundly.
It’s just that, this is not the rule that applies to diabetics. The absence of physical movement will cause more fat to accumulate in your body which is not a good idea for diabetics.
You can still do low and moderate physical activity, but you need to modify the duration and intensity because too much activity can cause hypoglycemia in people who are fasting. Well, in this case tarawih can also be considered as physical activity when modifying activities.
Those are s
ome guidelines for those of you with diabetes who want to fast. Rules that are implemented and implemented properly will keep your fasting and your health safe.