Women always want to look beautiful even though they are exploring period of pregnancy but did you know that some cosmetic ingredients are not safe to use when pregnant women? You don’t need to worry even though there are some cosmetics that can harm your pregnancy, pregnant women can look beautiful by using a selection of cosmetics that are safe for both mother and fetus.
This article will help you to look beautiful and attractive during pregnancy in a safe way. Safe care using skincare and cosmetics that do not contain harmful chemicals. We will provide information on hazardous chemicals that pregnant women should avoid during pregnancy and also their negative effects on them baby.
Can Pregnant Women Use Skincare and Cosmetics Products?
Being a career woman is not so easy if you have to leave make-up tools, especially if you are required to look beautiful even during pregnancy. Even so, pregnant women don’t want to sacrifice fetal health when using cosmetics, so what about pregnant women who use skincare and cosmetics?
Pregnant women can use skincare and cosmetics, but the products do not contain chemicals that are harmful to the health of the fetus. What should pregnant women do?
The following are several steps for choosing skincare and cosmetics that are safe for pregnant women:
1. Look at the composition
Skincare and cosmetics have different compositions. Pregnant women should be very observant in choosing beauty products. The cosmetic compositions that are not safe for fetal health are mercury, retinoids, salicylic acid (BHA), hydroquinone, benzoyl peroxyde, soybean, PABA, Rhodamine and Benzophenone-3. One of the research carried out on chemicals used in cosmetics is fat. The conclusion of this study is that the flatate content increases the risk of preterm birth.
A safe composition using organic products. Also pay attention to changes that are common in pregnant women such as the appearance of black spots because pregnant women hormones should avoid using skincare that contains soy extract because it will exacerbate black spots.
2. How to use
Oral use, that is by drinking, is easier to spread to the fetus through the placenta than skincare or topical cosmetics. However, it does not mean that it is safe to use topically applied cosmetics and skincare, especially if they contain chemicals that are harmful to the fetus. One thing that is prevented is retinoids, which are derivatives of vitamin A which are widely used in cosmetic and skincare products. Even anti aging products contain retinoid derivatives, either facial wash or skin lightening products.
What are the effects of chemical-based skincare and cosmetics on the fetus?
Be careful with the choice of cosmetics during pregnancy. The following is a list of chemicals that are often used in cosmetics and are not safe to use while pregnant. Cosmetics that contain chemicals will have a negative effect on fetal growth and development.
Cosmetics that contain mercury are not good for health even though you are not pregnant, especially if you are undergoing pregnancy, the impact that will be given from this dangerous chemical is damage and disorders of fetal development.
Skincare or cosmetic products that contain vitamin A derivatives or known as retinoids are usually found in creams to treat acne. Even though the use is only applied topically, it will harm the fetus which can increase the risk of birth defects.
3. Salicylic Acid
The composition of anti-acne in the form of soap or cream is contained using a chemical composition made from Salicylic Acid. Even though the use of less than 2% is safe, pregnant women must remain vigilant because it will affect fetal growth and development.
Pregnant women who use cosmetics made from hydroquinone usually found in whitening creams should be avoided. Mothers do not need to worry because the darkening of the skin on the mother is only temporary and will disappear by itself when the mother gives birth.
5. Benzoyl Peroxyde
Still, cosmetic products for acne prone skin generally contain benzoyl peroxyde which is absorbed about 5% when applied topically. Although no further research has been found, pregnant women should avoid cosmetics made from this.
The Amino Benzoic Acid should be avoided when pregnant women. Skincare or cosmetics that contain these chemicals found in sunscreens when used on pregnant women will put the fetus at risk. This is the same as the use of Benzophenone 3 which causes hormonal balance to be disturbed
In strikingly colored make, it usually uses hazardous chemicals such as rhodamine. This chemical is not recommended for cosmetic ingredients, but there are still some who use it. For mothers who are not pregnant, it is dangerous, what about pregnant women? Of course, it will harm the mother and the fetus.
What are the tips for staying beautiful and safe during pregnancy?
For pregnant women who want to stay beautiful and dance during pregnancy, they can use cosmetics that are only really needed. Likewise, allergic reactions in mothers can generally occur because pregnant women use excess cosmetics. Cosmetics with natural ingredients can be an option for you.
The following are some cosmetic tips for pregnant women:
- Choose cosmetics without synthetic ingredients, pregnant women can choose cosmetics without preservatives and free of organisms.
- Choose a deodorant that is oil based, as it can stop sweating for 24 hours and is harmless.
- Look for cosmetic products that say “clinical trials” so that they do not cause allergies and harm to the fetus.
- Avoid using sunscreen made from benzonphenon 3 which will affect hormone levels. Use sunscreen with natural ingredients.
- When you have acne, then clean the facial skin 3 times a day, give a moisturizer made from oil and avoid using acne medications that are taken or have accutane compounds.
- For pregnant women who have problems with stretch marks, avoid using topical drugs without a doctor’s prescription, you can use natural ingredients that contain vitamin E and olive oil.
- Pregnancy masks often occur in pregnant women. You don’t need to worry because it will heal by itself after pregnancy so you don’t need to use skincare or chemical based treatments
- Dry and itchy skin in pregnant women often occurs due to stretching that occurs during pregnancy.
You can use natural sunscreens to treat this.
- Consult your doctor if you need the use of chemical beauty treatments. Exposure to certain types of chemicals will affect fetal growth and development. So you have to be very careful about using skincare and cosmetics when you are pregnant.