The need for folic acid has a different daily portion for pregnant women who need 600 mcg per day in contrast to adult women who only need 400 mcg, while mothers who are breastfeeding need 500 mcg of folic acid per day. In meeting these needs you can fulfill them with the following foods:
Fruits that contain high folic acid
Although basically fruits have good benefits for health, certain types of fruit can help you meet your daily folic acid needs.
- Avocado, contains folic acid of 90 mcg, equivalent to 22% of daily needs.
- Papaya, the folic acid content in papaya is higher than avocado, which is 115 mcg.
- Oranges, in addition to being rich in vitamin C. Oranges contain folic acid in one grain of approximately 50 mcg, in other words, if you consume 2 oranges it meets 100 mcg.
- Strawberries, one cup of strawberry juice contains 25 mcg of folic acid. So you can make a dessert that is not boring from strawberries that taste fresh.
- Raspberries, the content of one cup of rasberries contains 14 mcg although the levels are weak but you can meet your daily needs with a variety of ingredients such as raspberries
Vegetables containing Folic Acid
Not only fruits, vegetables contain high folic acid which is useful in preparing for pregnancy. Here are the types of vegetables that are good and useful in meeting folic acid needs.
- Spinach, this green vegetable contains high folic acid, in one cup can produce 263 mcg.
- Asparagus, contains vitamins A, C and K which are good for health besides the high content of folic acid in a cup of asparagus which is 262 mcg
- Corn, the third vegetable that is high in folic acid in one cup of boiled corn, can contain 76 mcg of folic acid.
- Potatoes, in potatoes that have medium quality contains 30 mcg but pay attention to how to process them reduce fat intake from too much cooking oil.
Other foods that contain sources of folic acid
You can complement snacks from foods that contain high folic acid, of course these foods are not foods that some women avoid, it’s just that the consumption is not high when preparing for pregnancy, here are foods that contain folic acid:
- Breads and Cereals, processed content that contains high folic acid are bread and cereals. In looking at the folic acid content in it, you can read the labels that are usually on the packaging.
- Sunflower seeds, in one-quarter cup contain folic acid as much as 82% mcg, besides this snack contains fiber which is natural for health.
- Beef liver, you can meet as much as 70% folic acid from 100 grams of beef liver, but limit the consumption because it is not good for pregnancy.