A rare condition reoccurring, now caused by infection with brain-eating amoebae. Consider the story of the following boy who had to survive after being infected with brain-eating amoeba.
Recently discovered, amoebic infection where the victim is infected after being in lakes, rivers or hot springs. These free-living organisms can infect anyone while in the water and enter the body through the respiratory organs, especially the nose. Even more terrifying, this type of amoeba can travel to the brain and cause primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a rare form of miningitis.
In Florida, the brain-eating Amoeba attacks a boy. This type of Amoeba has the scientific name Amoeba Naegleria Fowleri. Patients infected with Amoeba Naegleria Fowleri find it difficult to live their lives. Luckily, this boy was able to survive even though his body was infected with brain-eating amoeba.
Even according to the Florida Department of Health, 16-year-old Deleon was infected with brain-eating amoeba while swimming in Broward Country. Even the chief medical officer of the hospital said that this brain-eating amoeba infects the patient’s body through drinking water.
Even more dangerous, according to Dr. Rajan Wadhawan, was when the ameba got into the nose. Some people who are infected will only survive 12-13 days after becoming infected. After undergoing a series of tests on Deleon, he tested positive for brain-eating amoeba. Of course this is shocking and fatal.
Previously, cases of brain-eating amoebic infection resulted in 97 percent of sufferers dying but Deleon was one of the lucky ones. After a fluid test from his spine, the result was positive for amoebic infection in Deleon’s body. Even after he was taken to the hospital he immediately got action.
Deleon immediately received a drug called the Centers of Disease Control (CDC) which kills amoebae. Some time after being given the drug, the patient did not give any significant results. The team of doctors decided to make Deleon’s body decrease, even up to 33 degrees. The amoebae were frozen and became cysts according to Dr. Liriano who handled Deleon.
Even after waiting 72 hours, the doctor’s action finally got a positive response in Deleon’s body. The examination results showed that the amoeba disappeared even the doctor who handled it decided to return to make Deleon conscious and remove the breath tube. Even a few hours later, Deleon was able to communicate, walk and recover from his critical condition.
Even Deleon’s reported condition has improved and the family really hopes that Deleon will not experience health problems after being infected with amoeba. Deleon’s mother, Brunilda Gonzalez is very grateful and grateful for the response of the Florida Childern’s Hospital medical staff team in providing the help given to Deleon.
In fact, he was grateful with the words “Thank you God for giving miracles to my son. Even miracles through the help of the hospital medical team. We as a family are very grateful for the gifts given by God. ” That’s thanks from his mother.
Different from the survivor Deleon. The case that happened in 1961 actually claimed the life of a patient with amoebic infection, the amoeba that eats the brain. In such cases the infection will not pass from person to person. Even those who drink contaminated water will not experience any fatal conditions. It is precisely when a person uses contaminated water to clean his nose that it is very dangerous.
Although cases of brain-eating amoebic infection are common in the United States, it is a big appeal to maintain health, especially related to water used for daily activities.