Pregnant women must be extra careful about beauty products during pregnancy, choosing wrong beauty products that contain chemicals that are dangerous will interfere with the growth and development of the fetus. Therefore this article will help pregnant women who often complain of oily skin problems by using solutions that are safe for the fetus.
Oily skin in pregnant women
Your face is sticky, slippery, shiny and often appears pimples? Yes, this is a characteristic of an oily face caused by hormonal changes. There are many changes that occur in a woman’s body during pregnancy, one of which is an oilier face. When you are pregnant, hormones in your body increase the production of oil in the skin, causing your face to look more radiant or radiant.
Even though it makes you look radiant, the glowing face during pregnancy is due to the production of hormones that cause oily skin during pregnancy. Unfortunately, not all women are lucky enough to experience glowing faces (due to altered hormone production) during pregnancy. Sometimes, oily skin during pregnancy can also cause acne problems.
When you are pregnant, most of the changes that occur in your body are the result of pregnancy hormones or fetal growth and development. There is about 50% more blood circulating through your body. The oil glands in your face start to work more efficiently as blood flow increases, causing the skin to produce more oil.
Hormonal surges can cause other skin changes too, such as freckles on the face, darkening of the skin, dry and itchy skin, pregnancy masks, stretch marks, and also Varicose veins and spider veins. Although it will basically heal after the birth of the baby, it turns out that some women experience problems with scars (skin-related complaints) during pregnancy.
Although there is no way to prevent the production of oil on your face during pregnancy, it does not mean that you will have problems with oily skin and that there are no precautions that can reduce the risk of dangerous oily skin. If your skin becomes too oily, make sure you wash your face with a mild, oil-free cleanser twice a day.
There is no specific treatment for oily skin in pregnancy. In fact, you have to be very careful about all creams, lotions, soaps or skin care products that you use when you are pregnant. If you visit a dermatologist for the treatment of oily skin, don’t forget to mention that you are pregnant. This is to ensure that you do not use harmful chemicals that will interfere with the development of the fetus.
Safe Prevention For oily skin during pregnancy
The good news is that pregnant women can do oily skin care at home, using simple precautions. Most of these home precautions are quite safe when used properly and should not have an adverse effect on fetal development.
The following are some safe precautions for pregnant women who complain of oily skin:
- You can use two egg whites on your face and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Then wash your face using a cleanser for oily skin.
- You can prepare a mixture of lemon juice and honey then rub it on the face, let it sit for 15 minutes, then rinse it off with warm and cold water.
- You can also use cucumber juice extract, before chilling in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Apply cucumber juice on the face before taking a shower.
- You can choose to use a mixture of apple, egg white and oatmeal. The trick is half a cup of mashed apple with half a cup of oatmeal and egg white. Add one teaspoon of lemon juice and mix all ingredients. This mask is applied to the face for about 15 minutes or so, then rinse it off using cold water.
- It is advisable to wash your face using hot water. This condition is easier to dissolve the oil more effectively than cold water.
- For those of you who have problems with oily and acne-prone skin, avoid piling up the powder when your face is sweating because it will mix with bacteria and make your face acne worse. In addition, often touching the face with dirty hands will trigger acne to develop.
- Try to choose a balanced diet that is choosing fruits and vegetables and reducing foods that contain lots of sugar and saturated fat. In addition to making your skin healthy and oil-free, choosing fruits and vegetables during pregnancy will make pregnant women get the ideal weight according to gestational age.
- Drinking water is very important, as it helps keep the body’s organs operating at optimal levels, and keeps the digestive system smooth, removing toxins from the body. The toxins going out through the skin are one of the factors behind oily and acne prone skin. Once the pores become clogged with oil or dirt, the microbes that cause acne thrive. So that drinking enough water will help reduce the problems that can be caused by oily skin.
- Make sure you are getting enough vitamin B2 as a deficiency can worsen oily skin problems. Great sources of vitamin B2 are seeds and nuts, besides being useful for pregnant women to care for the skin, it can complement the nutritional needs of the mother during pregnancy.
- You can do routine exercise specifically for pregnant women that can help remove excessive sweating, which can clog facial pores and trigger acne. Thus for pregnant women who often complain about oily faces, there is nothing wrong with joining yoga classes for pregnant women, special exercises for pregnant women and other sports that have a positive impact on fetal growth and development.
Thus pregnant women who have problems with oily skin or excess oil production due to hormonal changes during pregnancy, there is nothing wrong with doing prevention in a simple way that can be done at home. Do not even use chemical-based products that can harm fetal growth and development.
Pregnant women can choose treatment using masks from fruits and vegetables, besides that if pregnant women experience an increase in the amount of excess oil production on the face and cause other skin problems such as acne, you can consult a doctor for prevention during pregnancy.