Complaints of pregnancy which is mild but interfere with your comfort is swollen feet. Swollen feet occur because changes in posture during pregnancy make the load bigger, causing the leg blood flow to be obstructed. Although it is considered very normal to occur in pregnant women because oxygen and nutrients will also be supplied from the mother’s blood to the placenta.
In other words, during pregnancy, blood will also flow into the fetus, which causes the volume of blood to increase the pressure that occurs in the blood vessels, especially the legs. This condition of blood circulation in the leg area cannot be avoided, but you can do several ways so that it can reduce the inhibition of blood circulation in the leg area.
The following are some tips that you can follow to improve blood circulation to the feet of pregnant women:
- You can lie down with your feet propped up using a pillow then use a backrest that can put your feet on the edge. The goal is to make the position of the feet higher than the heart. For example: you use a sofa, so put it on the edge of the sofa.
- Exercise regularly, during pregnancy exercise can still be done as long as it is safe for you and the fetus. Sport is just walking or swimming. With sports activities will help you pump blood back to the heart so that it can reduce repression and pressure in the blood vessels.
- Foot movements, light movements such as straightening and twirling the ankles periodically will help you to smooth the blood vessels in the ankles so that they pump back to the heart. You can do in between your activities as much as 10 minutes.
- You can use stockings so they can support the calves and make the blood vessels pump blood to the heart so that they don’t cause puddles in certain areas, especially the legs.
- Compress with cold water if there is swelling in the leg area. This will help relax your feet and reduce swelling.
- Drink lots of water so that getting good fluids can reduce swelling in the feet. Water that contains minerals is very good and needed by the body.
- Reduce foods that contain high salt levels. Especially for those of you who have a medical history of hypertension.
Thus for those of you who often complain of blocked circulation in the leg area which results in swollen feet. Then you can follow the tips above and try not to stay long in one position, for example a sitting position or a standing position.