The tension experienced by the calf muscles makes pregnant women experience discomfort. This can also be due to the enlargement of the stomach, which makes the veins at the base of the pelvis feel compressed, thus blocking blood circulation to the legs. This condition causes slow blood circulation in the legs and causes cramps in pregnant women.
Apart from changes physical during pregnancyWhat causes cramps in pregnant women is the fatigue of the muscles that hold the body in place so that the leg blood flow is not smooth and is blocked by an enlarged uterus Leg cramps during pregnancy come suddenly so you have to be swift in dealing with them.
The following are some tips that can help you deal with leg cramps during pregnancy:
- Gradually you can straighten your heels and feet so they are more relaxed then you can bend your heels and fingers.
- Perform massage leg muscles that are cramping slowly and gently
- If you experience cramps when sitting or sleeping then you can move your toes slowly upwards. Then you can wake up slowly, a few minutes giving time for your legs to relax until the cramps subside.
Those are the ways that can help you to reduce the feeling of cramps in the legs that often make you uncomfortable during pregnancy. You can also take precautions with a few steps.
Here are some precautions you can take:
- Consume enough water so that it can help avoid dehydration and also improve blood flow.
- Begin to manage foods that contain enough minerals and calcium. The calcium you can get from milk, yogurt and green vegetables can reduce cramps that occur suddenly.
- Avoid wearing high heels. Shoes with high heels will put pressure on the toes and calves so you are at risk of leg cramps.
- Avoid standing for too long, during pregnancy your load will be twice as normal so that standing too long will trigger leg cramps.
- Do leg stretches, occasionally you can rotate the joint clockwise or vice versa so as to increase mobility and flexibility.
To make you comfortable during pregnancy and reduce pregnancy complaints, especially for those of you who often experience leg cramps, the tips above can help you to overcome and prevent leg cramps. Hope it is useful.