After going through a doctor’s examination and being declared able to do fasting, you must maintain nutrition during fasting. The time given to increase and maintain nutritional intake during fasting is when suhoor and breaking the fast. Both times are very important to provide nutritional intake what you and your fetus need. As long as you are fasting, the fetus may not fast. In other words, nutritional intake in the morning, afternoon and evening must be fulfilled at both times, when it is sahur and iftar. You have to pay attention not to mean the quantity of food you have to increase but the quality of the food with the necessary nutrients throughout the day. Sahur is the time to start fasting which is very important to pay attention to the type of food that provides nutrients that are sufficient for nutritional needs.
Here are tips for healthy suhoor for pregnant women:
1. Foods containing complex carbohydrates at dawn can be fulfilled from the addition of corn, pasta, cassava, sweet potatoes, potatoes, brown rice, and cereals. Not that you have to force yourself to consume more carbohydrates, you can get carbohydrates from other sources that can produce calories such as additional from potatoes or pasta.
2. Consume one medium bowl of vegetables with colorful vegetables. Green, orange, yellow, white, purple and red vegetables. Vegetable group will provide minerals, vitamins and antioxidants for you and your baby.
3. You can get protein from fish, poultry and red meat. You can choose low-fat meat so that it is safe for consumption for pregnant women. Besides that, you can get vegetable protein from soybeans, tofu and tempeh. Just one slice of one protein that you can choose for your sahur menu.
4. You can consume the fruit at the end of your dawn, just 1 to 2 pieces of fruit. Consume a variety of fruit at each meal so that it is sufficient nutrition.
5. You can get nutritional intake apart from the types of food consumed at dawn from special milk for pregnant women.
6. Avoid foods that taste sharp, foods that taste spicy and too acidic which will actually cause you to experience stomach upset which increases stomach irritation causing nausea and even vomiting.
7. Foods that are too salty will stimulate you to get hungry quickly during the day, avoid foods with high salt content. It can even cause health problems such as high blood pressure if consumption is not limited.
8. Do not go to sleep right away, after Suhoor it’s a good idea to do light activities in the house so that it helps reduce difficulty moving after eating Suhoor.